How did you get started in the business?
I was working at an envelope factory when I got a call from a friend who was detailing interiors at a dealership and needed a helper. I quit my job and did interiors for my first year and a half. Eventually I met the manager of a bodyshop who needed a detailer and asked if I’d be interested, and I’ve been here for three years.
What has it been like as a non-traditional worker in this industry?
For me, it’s not bad at all. Occassionally I get the customer who underestimates me, but most people are professional. When I started, I had never run a buffer before and didn’t even know what a dirt nib was. But the painter at our shop is very helpful and has taught me a lot over the years. I picked it up relatively quickly and I love doing it.
ACCORDING TO ZIPPIA.COM
• There are over 207,451 car detailers currently employed in the United States.
• 81.9% of all car detailers are men, while only 14.1% are women.
• The average age of an employed car detailer is 38 years old.
• The majority of car detailers are located in Jacksonville, Florida, and Atlanta, Georgia.
• Car detailers are most in-demand in Pensacola, Florida.
• The retail industry is the highest-paying for car detailers.
• In 2021, female car detailers earned 99% of what male car detailers earned.
Follow Devine Detailing on Instagram